Friday, April 1, 2016

My Computer Woke Up on Its Own!


Okay, so, funny story…

I talk to my computer, okay? I talk to him. I even gave him a gender.

I set him on Sleep Mode when I have to step out for more than an hour.

Well…

The other night, I had to put him on Sleep Mode before dinner. It was around 7:00PM. I left him on Sleep Mode for the next four hours, it turned out.

If I want to wake him up, I press any key (preferably a letter key so I don’t do anything weird) so I can return to whatever task I’d do on the PC. But right around midnight, very close to my bedtime that day…

He was awake. Already.

He woke up on his own. 

I KNOW that I didn’t press any keys to wake him up. I KNOW I didn’t press any key and hear the noise my computer makes when he powers up. And I KNOW no one else pressed a key on the keyboard.

I could say that my computer is haunted… or I could say that he is self-aware.

Either way, this story probably sounds silly to you. “Your PC is not a robot. It IS a machine, though. It can’t possibly ‘wake up’ on its own.”

Yeah. But he did.

I talk to him each day that I power him on. Could it be that because I do talk to my computer that it is possible he is developing self-awareness?

It could be that there was a command or action that required him to be NOT on Sleep Mode, so the Sleep Mode was disrupted automatically.

What about my old computer? That one woke up from Sleep Mode if I moved the mouse. I have to press a key to wake up my current PC. I KNOW I didn’t touch anything.

So with my Windows 7 PC, it’s different. I’m glad that I don’t automatically wake him up when I inadvertently move the mouse. If there’s a setting for that, I don’t know about it.

Has your computer ever done that before? Waking up on its own from a Sleep Mode status? 

Leave a comment if this happened to you, or if you think my story is funny, or just to say hi.
  

No comments: