Wednesday, March 16, 2011

iTunes + Robot Podcasts = Learning on the go!

Do you like iTunes?  Do you like robots?  Do you like podcasts?  If you answer yes to all three of these questions, do I have a recommendation for YOU!  I’ve recently found a great podcast that inspires me to do further research on my favorite science/science fiction topic: Robots!

The title is Robots: The Podcast for News and Views on Robotics. There are other robot-related podcasts, but I will check them out later. This podcast is the first one I found and there are so many episodes available. Each episode is around a half hour or around 45 minutes. The first episode I listened to was one with an interview with scientist Hiroshi Ishiguro, who created the Geminoid, a copy of himself. This episode is titled, “Androids, Human Presence, and the Uncanny Valley.” You have to listen carefully though, because Mr. Ishiguro is speaking on a phone and also he has a Japanese accent of course.

What I really like about this podcast is it has topics I am looking for. There are two episodes about Robot Ethics and two episodes about Science Fiction that include robots and androids. There is even an interview with David X. Cohen, who works on Futurama, and he will be talking about the show and his view of the future, according to the info on the podcast. I definitely have to check that out; I love Futurama even more because of the fact that robots and humans co-exist in the 3000s. Personally I can’t subscribe to this podcast because my seven-year-old desktop computer doesn’t have much gigabytes left to hold megabytes and megabytes of podcasts and music, but I’d like to check back on this podcast often and find a select group of episodes to download. It helps that the podcasts are free!

No comments: